Old June 25th 04, 12:26 PM
JK

On 25 Jun 2004 03:47:49 -0700, (David Off) wrote:

I want to upgrade my Asus AS7-VM motherboard. It currently has an
Athlon 1GHz processor. According to Asus it will take up to a 1.4GHz
Athlon or 900 MHz Duron, I don't see why there is a difference in CPU
speed.

Your motherboard takes just the socalled fsb200 cpu's. They are rare
now.

I checked the local computer store and it is only possible to get
Duron processors, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 GHz. Will a 1.4 GHz Duron buy me much
over a 1 GHz Athlon given the smaller on-board cache?

These newer durons are all fsb266. They won't fit the bios of your
motherboard.

The Duron is a much later design, so will presumable generate less
heat.

I also wonder if I can run one of the higher speed Durons in this
mobo? The Asus doc only mentions 1.4GHz but maybe that is because
faster processors were not available at the time.

The Athlon XP processor doesn't seem to be any good due to the faster
FSB speed (266 MHz as opposed to 133MHz).

266=2x133 that is the secret of it. Fsb200=2x100 and so on for fsb333
and 400.

My advice would be: don't upgrade it.

Sell the computer for 200 $ or so, excl. monitor but including the
rest.

Because: you have the following components that are outdated or
obsolete: sdram, harddisk, sound, net

Modern motherboards have mostly nice sound onboard and LAN and a new
big cache ide harddisk with 7200 rpm will mean a tremendeous
improvement, as will DDR ram.

best regards

John