Old October 12th 04, 06:56 PM
Zotin Khuma

"PC" wrote in message ...
"kony" wrote in message
Followups-To alt.comp.hardware

A7N8X Motherboard Low Temperature Sensitivity, CMOS Checksum
Error

SHORT VERSION:

If room ambient temp drops below 25C, system is so
instable it can't even complete a POST. If system is
running when room temp drops, it then starts to act erratic

.....snip....

Kony

If you've narrowed the problem to the motherboard by substituting all other
components, then the 'freeze spray' technique would appear to be about the
only way of finding which component it is.

.....snip.....

Agreed. I haven't used the DX version of the A7N8X board but I've
built a couple of systems with the -X version. They've been in
continuous use by avid gamers for several months in temps ranging from
an estimated 12C to 35C without any problem.

It's obvious this mobo has an unusual temperature sensitivity. Unusual
because, as you will no doubt be aware, faults usually show up with a
rise in temperature. But with years of servicing electronic products
under my belt, I've seen all kinds of weird things happen. E.g., 99%
of defective resistors generally increase in resistance or become
open, but I've seen a couple of cases where their resistance had
lowered drastically.

In this case, material contraction due to lowered temp must be causing
a bad joint to lose electrical contact (I know this isn't much help).
The bad contact could be at a poor solder point, inside a component
(ICs, capacitors...), wire crimp, or a microscopic crack in the PCB
copper tracks.