Old December 30th 03, 01:40 AM
Amy L.

Rob/Anyone,

When this board posts with one memory chip in slot 1. The post status
information lists that "DDR DIMMS IN SLOT: 0 1". When I put a chip in
slot 3 as well it says "DDR DIMMS IN SLOT: 0 1 4 5"

Is this normal?

I am almost pretty sure that this board is bad.. I have a few more
tests to run.

Amy.

Rob wrote in message news:bKlHb.678585$Fm2.587397@attbi_s04...
It seems the #2 slot and it's path to the chipset is OK. Your PS seems
to be stable and 4.8 isn't a really a bad reading. Did you remove all
power and clear CMOS, according to the manual, after the BIOS update?
What memory settings are you using? If using AUTO and By SPD then try
setting if for User Defined and 100%. Also set AGP to 66 MHz. To try
ultra relaxed settings set the numbers to 7-3-3-2.5 and if it works you
can lower the numbers one at a time.

Rob

Amy L. wrote:

Rob,

My voltage measurements before was with the probe with load on system.

1 Chip in Slot 1 In Bios +5V = 4.86
1 Chip in Slot 2 In Bios +5V = 4.86
2 Chips in Slot 1&2 In Bios +5 = 4.83, but then when up to 4.86

Added the third chip into slot 3 - and back to same problem where it
freezes before memory check.

Atleast with these tests we just did I feel confident that "slot 2" is
not an issue since I can boot with chips in Slot 1 & 2, Slots 2 & 3,
Slots 1 & 3. The problem seems to crop up when the board has a third
chip (it does not matter which of the three chips I put it for it to
freeze).

I am running a memtest86x right now against sims in slot 1 & 2. I
will see how that works out.

Unfortunantly - this still doesnt rule out PS or MB. Maybe a next
step would be to get a new PS (a good one).

Any comments/thoughts?
Amy

Rob wrote in message news:fPhHb.150021$8y1.438656@attbi_s52...

The part number for your RAM says it supposed to have 8 chips per side,
so you should be OK there. I have 2 questions, which you may have
already tried out:
1-What happens if you use a single stick in slot 2 and if it boots what
does the voltage look like then.
2-You expressed concern over a 4.7v reading with the 2 sticks installed.
Is this reading from BIOS or Probe, if from Probe, was the system idle
after boot? Does it go up much if only a single stick is installed in
either slot 1 or 3.
These may help identify weather it's a slot or PS issue.

callsignviper wrote:

"Amy L." wrote in message
e.com...

My A7N8X was having problems with Page Faults when I added a 3rd Stick
of RAM. See this thread -

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...readm=c79f21c9
.0312241130.1d99cd08%40posting.google.com&rnum= 1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Damyl%254
0paxemail.com%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26scoring%3Dd%26se
lm%3Dc79f21c9.0312241130.1d99cd08%2540posting.g oogle.com%26rnum%3D1

System
A7N8X (PCB 2.0) w/ AMD XP 2700 (Barton)
166MHZ FSB
3 x 512MB Kingston KVR333X64C25/512 CHIPS

Since I have flashed the bios from 1006 to 1007 the system will not
boot when I add *ANY* of the three sticks of RAM into the second slot.
Remove the RAM in SLOT 2, it boots. Hopefully, this should be easier
to troubleshoot since its not the "random" page faults and this occurs
right on post.

I am wondering if this is power supply related. Running the probe
with just 2 sticks of memory in the +5V dips to around ~4.7V. The 12V
runs around ~12.8V.

Any thoughts on anything else it could be?
Amy...

From my previous post in regards to your questions.

There are 2 notes about DIMMs on Page 13 of your motherboard manual that may
or may not apply to your situation.

From Page 13:

"DIMMs with more than 18 chips are not supported" and "DIMMs with more than
8 devices on each side of the module are not supported."

If neither applies to your situation you might try raising the DDR Reference
Voltage in BIOS to see if that helps to stabilize your system.

BTW: What brand and wattage is your power supply?

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.