Old December 29th 12, 12:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo [_4_]

Default ? on SATA drives, IDE interfaces

On 12/28/2012 07:04 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 12/28/2012 4:21 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/27/2012 06:21 PM, Dave wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 12/27/2012 6:52 PM, Dave wrote:
Will a SATA HDD work in my IDE interface Thinkpad T43? Seems I read
somewhere that they are compatible, but can't remember... *Any*
help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I can't see any way that would be possible unless you can find an
IDE-SATA converter and your computer maker somehow allowed a little
extra
space (not bloody likely). Such adapters exist for desktop-size
drives but
I've never seen anything that would fit into a notebook. There _are_
adapters that fit onto 2.5" drives but only for larger-than-notebook
systems.

Aaah. As I feared... Okay, well I'll just have to find an IDE hard
drive
to upgrade to, or learn to live within the space I have. Thanks.

Dave

A PCI to SATA adapter board is about $15,
I'd get the adapter and an SATA drive

The problem is not finding an adapter. The problem is finding an adapter
that will fit inside of a notebook computer. Although there are adapters
made to fit on the back of 2.5" drives available for $10, the extra
thickness is not going to work in a super-tight space.

Yep, I missed that point.

--
https://www.createspace.com/3707686