Old January 1st 04, 01:36 PM
James

Default strange problem with hard drive

I have a 30GB Western Digital EIDE hard drive. Model: WD300BB ... Params:
LBA 58633344 ... It has an Active Primary partition (c20GB) and an extended
partition with one logical drive(c10GB). My symptons are as follows...

1) BIOS either takes a very long time recognising the drive or it fails to
but windows will still see the logical drive.
2) DOS cannot see the hard drive
2) I can access the logical partition from windows but not the Primary
partition. (I added this drive to another system)
3) Partition magic does not recognise the drive

I would ideally like to able to diagnose this, but am rather stuck. I have
checked all regular causes such as primary drive being hidden, bad ide
cables and tried hd on other systems... I would say that it's time to ditch
the drive but would at least like to know what has caused this -

tia