Old November 24th 20, 04:55 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

On Mon, 23 Nov 2020 16:35:54 +0200, Anssi Saari wrote:

OK, so my response was needlessly short.

Hi Anssi Saari,

Any amount of purposefully helpful advice and suggestions I appreciate!

I'm just getting started on this quest, and it seems there are lots of ways
to go so that's where advice from others who have been successful can
prevent a whole bunch of dead ends.

In the end, if I can print to the printer directly from Android
o That would be worthy of a tutorial so as to help others do the same

The printer I have is a
Laserjet P1102, USB connection only. So to make it into a networked
printer it's connected to a raspberry pi via USB. CUPS shares it in a
way that Linux (and Android) machines see, Samba shares it in a way that
Windows machines see. So when I wrote the response I knew nothing about
printers that are actually directly networked (other than an ancient
Laserjet 4P that's still in storage somewhere but that thing predates
Android phones...)

We both have HP printers, but yours is USB only while mine is Ethernet.
o That probably changes what's available to us by way of printing options.

So anyways, after a quick look, "everyone" uses IPP (internet printing
protocol) for networked printing, both printers and Android. And CUPS
too. So I should be able to print direct to my printer and indeed I
could, even after removing Mopria.

I installed every free app for IPP that Aurora Store found on Google Play:
a. CUPS Printing io.github.benoitduffez.cupsprint
b. Let's Print Droid com.blackspruce.lpd
c. PrinterShare Mobile Print com.dynamixsoftware.printershare
d. PrintBot net.jsecurity.printbot
e. PrinterOn com.printeron.droid.phone
f. Direrct Print Service com.solvaig.printservice
g. PrintHand Mobile Print com.dynamixsoftware.printhand

I will have to test each one out to see which ones work on my HP printer.
o https://i.postimg.cc/5N8c5d9T/printing05.jpg

So I guess your printer might be the issue here? Is using the "HP Print
Service Plugin" for Android out of the question? HP says printers newer
than 2004 should work with it.

I haven't even tried yet this HP Print Service Plugin, but I downloaded it
and many other HP printer apps from the Aurora Store overlay on Google Play
h. HP Print Service Plugin com.hp.android.printservice
i. HP Smart com.hp.printercontrol
j. HP ePrint Enterprise com.hp.eprint.client
k. HP ePrint Enterprise for Good com.hp.com.hpeprintservice.good
l. HP Advance com.hp.mobileconnector
m. HP PrintOS for PSP com.hp.printosforpsp
n. HP SureSupply com.hp.esupplies
o. HP QuickDrop com.hp.quickdrop

Or my solution with CUPS on some Linux
machine might work for you. Or even CUPS on Android?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ffez.cupsprint

Just in case it turns out to be the solution, I downloaded a few CUPS apps
(although I haven't yet dug into how or why this CUPS stuff would work).
o https://i.postimg.cc/Y9TVg85t/printing06.jpg 11 print services on

In summary, this printing directly from Android to a networked printer
isn't intuitive, but there's so much information that I still have to delve
into I can't say much other than this is the status so far, for the
screenshots for the upcoming (hopefully) tutorial so all others benefit:
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD0CDJZz/printing01.jpg Android10 ConnectionPrefs
o https://i.postimg.cc/xdvmwQ3S/printing02.jpg ConnectionPrefs Printing
o https://i.postimg.cc/PxdDh7Sv/printing03.jpg Search Print Services
o https://i.postimg.cc/pTkFdBSG/printing04.jpg ? Print Documentation
o https://i.postimg.cc/5N8c5d9T/printing05.jpg Added free IPP print apps
o https://i.postimg.cc/Y9TVg85t/printing06.jpg 11 print services on
--
If anyone has printing figured out, please let us know so we all benefit.