Old April 30th 16, 04:18 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.scanner
Ken Hart

Default Looking for forum for help with Epson scanner

On 04/30/2016 08:20 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , none@given
wrote:

One point though: a lot of the old 110 color negative films really
lose color over time, so you'll probably need to do some correction
with software.

Apart from the convenient size, that 110 format was probably one of
the worst ever in terms of preservation.

it was no different than the same film in any other size.

Based on my experience, I would disagree. The color Instamatic films
that I have scanned from the 1970s are noticeably more degraded than
other formats from the same time or before it. The 110 in particular
seems to be worse than all the others.

if the fading was not the same, then you bought *different* film in the
smaller size.

film from the 1970s faded more than most, but that wasn't limited to
110 format. if you bought the same film in 35mm or 120 at the same time
as the 110, it would also have faded just as much.

what matters is the film formulation, not how big or small it is.

The film formulation may be the issue. The pocket instamatic was
introduced in 1972. Kodak also introduced C-41 process film in the same
year. Some film manufacturers "didn't get the memo", and made 110 film
in the older C-22 process. Some early processors of C-41 film also might
not have gotten the memo, and may have had some growing pains with the
C-41 process.

So it is possible that the OP is comparing C-22 process film with C-41
film, or it is possible that the "lab" that processed his film was using
the wrong process or the correct process incorrectly ("Fixer is fixer-
let's not waste this C-22 fixer- we'll just mix it with the C-41 stuff!")

In order to say that 110 film faded more or the same as other film
sizes, more information is needed, to be sure that the comparison is valid.

--
Ken Hart