Old April 11th 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default P4C800-DELUXE XP Install Problems --- Hanging

In article ,
lid (bubbadawg) wrote:

Hello All ---

I am doing a clean install of Windows XP on ASUS P4C800 Deluxe on a
new Seagate 300gb SATA HD. I am loading the SATA drivers by pressing
F6 and using a floppy with the drivers. All of the files are copied
and Windows reboots to start the install. Once rebooted, Windows
hangs at the screen with the WinXP logo / blue animated bar. I have
left it on the screen for several hours and it never progresses. I
have disabled all onboard devices all to no avail and I have even
swapped out memory sticks with no luck. I have also updated to the
the latest bios.

One additional note. I have unplugged everything from the mobo except
the video card and HD and still the same issue persists.

I am out of ideas and desperate to get it sorted out, so any ideas or
suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

There are two sets of SATA ports. One set connected to ICH5 and
another set connected to PDC 20378. Which set are you using ?
Are you using drivers for the right piece of hardware ? If
PDC20378, the driver would be something like 378ATA...

There are some BIOS settings.

Section 4.3.6 in manual (for ICH5):

Onboard IDE Operate Mode [Enhanced]
Enhanced Mode Support on [S-ATA]

Section 4.4.4 in manual (for PDC20378)

Onboard Promise Controller [Enabled]
Operating Mode [IDE]

That should prepare the respective SATA ports for use.

I believe for the ICH5 SATA ports, the Microsoft driver
will work. You would need a WinXP SP1 or SP2 install disk.
So if you are connected to the ICH5 SATA ports ("SATA1",
"SATA2"), you don't need to F6 install drivers when using
SP1 or SP2.

For the Promise SATA ports ("SATA_RAID1", "SATA_RAID2") you
need the driver disk.

HTH,
Paul