Old May 3rd 04, 09:03 AM
Paul

In article ,
(Daniel) wrote:

I have this wonderful system built around a P4P800 Deluxe.

It works perfectly, including all USB 2.0 devices I have connected to
it so far:
* Cruzer Mini USB drive (256MB)
* Samsun Digimax 201 camera
* EPSON Perfection 3200 scanner

However, when I connect the scanner through the switch, the scanner
becomes an "Unknown device". This problem does *not* occur on a
different PC running Windows XP and using the same exact switch and
scanner (that's why I bought the switch, so that I can share the
scanner between two PCs ).

Since I am using W2K-SP4 with all latest updates, and the date/version
on the USB2 driver is later than the one the came with the P4P800
Deluxe CD, I did not install the driver that came with the CD. That
decision seemed to be correct, but having this strange problem I am
not sure anymore...

The following is a date/version comparison between the ASUS P4P800
Deluxe CD and what's currently installed in my system:

File ASUS P4P800 Deluxe CD W2K-SP4 (installed)
------- --------------------- -------------------
usbhub20.sys 2002/4/17, 5.0.2195.5605 2003/6/19, 5.0.2195.6717
usbport.sys 2002/4/22, 5.0.2195.5652 2003/6/19, 5.0.2195.6681
usbehci.sys 2002/4/22, 5.0.2195.5652 2003/6/19, 5.0.2195.6709

Which is newer? Are there even newer W2K drivers in existence?

The P4P800 Deluxe CD also came with 3 more files that I cannot find in
my system:
* hccoin.dll
* ich5usb2_win2k.inf
* usb2.cat

What do you think? Am I using the latest and greatest? If not, what is
the latest and greatest?

Thank you!
Daniel

P.S. For those curious to learn more about my plight with the USB 2.0
switch, it is all documented he
http://tinyurl.com/2sh33

First of all, the hex strings in the properties, when translated to
ASCII read as:

"HardwareID" =hex(7):55,53,42,5c,55,4e,4b,4e,4f,57,4e = USB\UNKNOWN
"CompatibleIDs"=hex(7):55,53,42,5c,55,4e,4b,4e,4f, 57,4e = USB\UNKNOWN

Maybe you can try a hardware experiment. There are four headers on the
board, labelled USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, USBPW78. Whichever port
pair the USB switch is plugged into, change the USBPWxx jumper so
that the USB port is powered from +5VSB. (My theory is, that the
switch needs power to be present, before the rest of the computer
boots. This will change the timing, of devices becoming ready to
talk to one another, and might be enough to make the chain work.)

While you can go searching for newer USB drivers (on sites like
http://downloadfinder.intel.com), I'm not sure that a miracle is
going to happen from a driver perspective. Either a driver will
be in an INFINST package or in a separate USB20 package, not sure
which. (Usually separate packages are needed for things like
the Orangeware driver that works with Win98.)

The USB switch device you've got, should be reclocking the data
if it is intended to handle USB2 devices. I think that this means
that the USB switch has to be intelligent and has to be
enumerated when the USB driver starts up. If everything enumerates
properly, the software should be building a device tree, and the
scanner should be at the end of one of the branches.

From a post in Google, found while looking for Epson Perfection 3200
"roundball wrote:
Check and make sure that the "still image service" is running.
the service needs to activity for the scanner to work."

Here is another post, with a suggestion for connecting the
3200 to two computers:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...lp.airnews.net

HTH,
Paul