Old January 2nd 10, 05:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
erilar

Default Simplest and most reliable printer for an iMac?

In article ,
"Jonathan L. Parker" wrote:

John Brock wrote:
My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
for a new printer.

Are you sure about that non-support? I'm still using 10.4.11 so I can't
speak directly with regard to Snow Leopard, but I can tell you that
Gutenprint *does* have a driver for this printer, and my version
includes it. Unless Mom lives a long way off and all of you have
already gone home after the holidays, you might want to take a crack at
setting it up for her. If nothing else, it could serve as a backup
option in case the new printer you'll *still* probably end up buying for
her ever goes on the fritz.

I don't know what Gutenprint is, but I do know Epson didn't update the
drivers for that printer when they updated everything else. My scanner
was just as old and didn't even have a USB connection, so it had to stay
connected to the old computer anyway. The G4 can read ANYthing 8-) My
lovely new laptop only has USB and Firewire ports.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo