Old January 2nd 10, 04:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
Jolly Roger[_3_]

Default Simplest and most reliable printer for an iMac?

In article ,
Jolly Roger wrote:

In article ,
(John Brock) wrote:

My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
for a new printer.

We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above
all. We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges
by herself! Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good
OS X support, and not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under
$200 certainly, and under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria,
what would be the best choice?

I've tried all the cheap makes, including HP, Epson, Lexmark, and they
have all clogged up or died within a couple years. My Canon, on the
other hand, is still printing just as good as the first day I purchased
it back in 2005! It's just wonderful. Canon PIXMA Pro i9900 has
outlasted every single other inkjet I have ever used!:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/c35uqf

If I were in the market for a new photo printer today, I would
definitely get one of the current Canon PIXMA Pro models:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/nj5s6

In my book, Canon is highly recommended.

Note: I use *only* new Canon brand ink cartridges with my printer - and
no after-market refills. While I could try using off-brand or refill
cartridges, I'm simply not willing to change damaging the printer when
it has treated me so much better than any other!

I'll add that Canon's Mac software drivers work well and are updated
regularly, in my experience.

JR