Old August 3rd 06, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
larry moe 'n curly

Default power supply for Intel Pentium 4 531

wrote:

1 IDE
1 CD-ROM
1 DVD+-R
ATi Radeon Xpress 200 built-in to the motherboard

Well, the computer will boot up fine I'd install my Windows XP on it.
Then I turn it off. Couple of hours later, I come back to turn it on
and there would be no BIOS screen. The computer seems to reset it self.
Or if it boots the hard drive, it would show different error messages,
such as corrupted installation. Last night it hung during Windows
install. Seem to be a variety of problems.

I would try running the computer with the side panel removed to cool it
down more, and then if it doesn't crash, the problem likely is the PSU.
I think a system like that will run fine from any good 250W PSU, maybe
even a 200W. How many watts can your 350W PSU put out? IOW, what
brand is it? Better yet, what's its UL certifcation number (Exxxxxx)
or CSA number (probably starts with "L")? If you have a digital
multimeter (even a $10 one with at last 3 1/2 digit display is fine),
measure the voltages. Voltage readings taken from the BIOS or a
software utility can't be trusted unless first verified with a meter.