Old August 3rd 06, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
George Macdonald

Default power supply for Intel Pentium 4 531

On 2 Aug 2006 14:04:58 -0700, wrote:

I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
this information anywhere on the web.

So what kind of case+P/S did you put the new mbrd+CPU in? If it's from a
previous system, the P/S may not have enough oomph and the case may not
have sufficient ventilation. What does it say on the P/S label for 12V
amps and does it have 12V1 & 12V2 ratings. Depending on video card draw, a
newish 350W P/S would be fine; an older one, say 2-3 years old, maybe not.
You could compare the specs of your P/S with what's currently available at
www.newegg.com.

Other than that get memtest86+ from www.memtest.org to make sure your
memory is up to scratch.

--