Old August 3rd 06, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Tony Hill

Default power supply for Intel Pentium 4 531

On 2 Aug 2006 14:04:58 -0700, wrote:

I just bought an Intel Pentium 4 531 CPU and motherboard. Been having
some trouble with it. So I'm wondering if the CPU/Motherboard is
defective or if my 350W power supply is insufficient? What is the Power
requirement for the Intel Pentium 4 processors? I can't seem to find
this information anywhere on the web.

With power supplies it's more a question of quality over quantity.
I've seen those P4 530 chips run on systems with 250W power supplies
with no trouble at all. On the other hand, there are plenty of
350-400W supplies that won't cut it. Unfortunately there is no easy
way to tell if the supply is up to the task or not. You might be able
to find some info at the power supply manufacturer's site, or possibly
the motherboard maker will have a list of known-good supplies. Other
than that though it is rather tough to tell.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca