Old January 4th 04, 11:09 PM
Bob Davis

"alans220" wrote in message

Do you use the fan speed controller? or just have it running full speed?

There's no reason not to use it, as you can set it at full speed or lower.
I have mine set in the middle where it spins at about 2000 rpm, but it isn't
noisy at full speed. At this speed the CPU runs cooler than the stock unit
while maintaining much lower noise level. BTW, I have the all-Cu unit,
which is not recommended if you plan on moving the computer a lot. It is
about double the max weight specified by Intel for a heatsink, so go with
something lighter (AlCu?) if you don't plan on leaving the computer in one
place.

My case an Antec Quiet, has a fan connector from the power supply that
is speed regulated, which I could connect to the Zalman, which would
then be speed varied according to the temp sensor in the power supply
area. Not sure if thats a good idea.

I think the CPU fan needs to be connected to the CPU-fan header on the mobo,
and I wouldn't put it anywhere else. If I'm not mistaken, the system won't
power up without a fan connected to the CPU-fan header.

Is the Zalman noisy(ish) when on full speed.

No, not by my gauge. I have it set below max, but I could live with it at
full speed.