Old August 8th 03, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
gARY

Default MP/XP chip speeds table...

gARY wrote:
Why is there listed 2chips both 2800+.........

Model Clock Speed L1/L2 Cache
(681) XP2800+ (2250) 128/256

T'Bred B, 166*13.5

(68AO) XP2800+ (2083) 128/512

Barton, 166*12.5

How do 'I know' which I'm purchasing IF I'm only told it's a XP2800+

The Bartons have twice the L2 cache (512KB) - assume T'Bred B unless 512Kb
L2 or Barton are stated.

Just asking, as most UK suppliers have NO clue to what I'm asking
which is this........

Both chips are a XP2800+ right? One has a lower "clock speed" but
with a higher L2.

1/ Which is best and why?

The T'bred is better at number crunching, the Barton better at memory
intensive stuff. On average they're the same. I'd get the Barton.

Ben

Now, you just hit the nail on the head Ben!!!

I need that 'number crunching' chip, big-time! Is there a better one?

So as I was going 4barton I now chase down a T'bred XP2800+

Does the M'board change (as in, the other thread)?

Thank you,
gARY