View Single Post
Old May 23rd 21, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
skybuck2000
external usenet poster

Default OpenGL driver loading abnoxiously slow. (Toshiba laptop L670 2012/Intel/AMD/RadeON)

Posting 1:

Here is some more information after running DBG Spider on it:

Short conclusion:

It might be some application code problem, maybe even a Delphi VCL problem, not yet sure.

What the debugger/profiler is showing is something like this:

TOpenGLControl.WMCreate

TControl.WndProc

TWinControl.WndProc

TWinControl.CreateWindowHandle

TWinControl.CreateHandle

TWinControl.UpdateShowing

TWinControl.UpdateControlState

TWinControl.CMVisibleChanged

TControl.Perform

TControl.SetVisible

Classes.StdWndProc

Windows.CreateWindowEx

Game.initialization

Be advise this is not a call stack, but these functions seems to be calling each other.

TOpenGLControl.WMCreate is code I wrote.

What I believe might be happening is that these functions are calling each other repeatedly in some kind of loop or circle.

Surprisingly no stack overflow occurs.

Apperently this loop continues until somehow it gets out of it. Perhaps by a lucky change of events in windows or perhaps some condition is met.

This is my best bet for now.

Posting 2:

My final conclusion for now:

A debug version was tested on windows 7 home edition with ATI/AMD radeon drivers, that were installed multiple times probably by bug in their driver installation program.

This debug version was compiled with delphi community edition 10.3

The same debug version was then zipped up and transmitted to windows 7 ultimate edition on my dreampc and debugged there as well.

The strange behaviour is only witnessed on the laptop with stange ATI/AMD drivers.
The strange behaviour IS GONE on windows 7 ultimate edition with nvidia drivers.

This leads me to some conclusions and hypothesis:

1. Either the driver was "hooked" multiple times into the system or there are multiple drivers running/installed, however only one ati xxx thing seems to be loaded: atigktxx.dll
So hypothesis 1 seems somewhat unlike, no problems are observed in game or in performance.

Which leads me to hypothesis number 2, which I also debugged on top of the laptop itself:
2. The latest Delphi VCL framework is bugged on Windows 7 home edition.
The company behind Delphi never tested their changes on Windows 7 home edition.
This seems the most likely culprit. It may have something to do with repositioning the window and entering into some kind of weird loop.

3. It could also be some weird kind of bug in windows 7 home edition that get triggered in combination with opengl.

4. However I have something more to report:
Quake 3 Arena demo does not run on the laptop. This game uses opengl, so this is also somewhat suspicious.
It seems to fail at callind CDS bad mode.
It seems Quake 3 is having some kind of create window problem. It cannot find a good resolution.

So something weird is going on with ATI/AMD driver, for now I do not believe it is related to driver version being incremented. This may be something else.

Bye for now,
Skybuck.