Old August 26th 03, 11:09 PM
Joe727

Lets deal with the chipset first. I am a bit unclear - did you install the
latest chipset driver you got from Dell.

Now to the firewall - if you are not accessing the internet through a
router, which has a built-in firewall, then your internet connection is
wide-open to hackers who can easily access your PC. I have a small network
connected to a router, but both PCs also have Zone Alarm installed as well.
There is a free version of Zone Alarm. I strongly suggest you download and
install it.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...eeDownload.jsp

Having an anti-virus is a must, but with an always on internet connection so
is a firewall.

Since your internet connection has been wide-open, you might have a load of
Spyware on your PC. SpyBot will get rid of it. It's also free. Spybot
also has an immunize feature that will block a lot of Spyware once your PC
is Spyware free.

http://www.safer-networking.org/

There's one more program - Empty Temp Folders. It's another freebie:

http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/

Joe

"[___]BobNoxious" wrote in message
om...
I don't have a firewall, but did a re-install of Norton Antivirus 2000
this weekend too. Perhaps it is scanning everything when stuff is
downloaded from the web? Or - could it be related to the mouse-busy
icon. The busy icon is the waving windows flags(animated) perhaps
this animation is slow due to the directx/video issue. UGHGHGH.

Chipsets... I have Intel Integrated chipset, and I believe with
the A06 bios for the 4100, i have gottent the latest that dell
offered.
Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset, v. 2.30.021, A04