Old August 30th 03, 06:01 AM
MB

I for example just bought a 9800pro so I'll be
able to play Halflife2

I went one further, I bought an entirely new system for HL2 (with a Radeon
9800)
Is this on the "are you a dork?" self-test?

Icarus ^i^ wrote:
Steve wrote:
Hi,
I'll be ordering a system with the ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro
(http://www.ati.com/products/radeon90...pro/index.html). I
like the card because it is relatively cheap, has on screen TV
viewing capability, and enough memory (64 MB) to drive the somewhat
low-fi games I plan on using (Sim City 4000, Age of Empires) but I
am worried because it only states having DirectX 8.1 capability. Is
this something I should worry about or is DirectX 9 not an issue for
most users? I do plan on doing some basic home video editing if that
is an issue. Thanks for the help, Steve.

Well, compability with dx9 is more of an issue for people who want to
play the next generation of games. I for example just bought a
9800pro so I'll be able to play Halflife2 and Doom3 when they arrive,
but the games you mentioned won't benefit from dx9 anyway. I've never
worked with video editing so I don't know if directx matters in that
case.

/Icarus