Old August 29th 03, 10:54 PM
Jon Danniken

Default Importance of DirectX 9 compatability

"Icarus ^i^" wrote:
Steve wrote:
:: Hi,
:: I'll be ordering a system with the ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro
:: (http://www.ati.com/products/radeon90...pro/index.html). I
:: like the card because it is relatively cheap, has on screen TV
:: viewing capability, and enough memory (64 MB) to drive the somewhat
:: low-fi games I plan on using (Sim City 4000, Age of Empires) but I
:: am worried because it only states having DirectX 8.1 capability. Is
:: this something I should worry about or is DirectX 9 not an issue for
:: most users? I do plan on doing some basic home video editing if that
:: is an issue. Thanks for the help, Steve.

Well, compability with dx9 is more of an issue for people who want to play
the next generation of games. I for example just bought a 9800pro so I'll be
able to play Halflife2 and Doom3 when they arrive, but the games you
mentioned won't benefit from dx9 anyway. I've never worked with video
editing so I don't know if directx matters in that case.

Is Carmack going to start using DirectX for Doom3? I thought he was going to
stick with OpenGL.

Jon