Old April 8th 04, 01:17 AM
Kevin Lawton

The HD in question was clean to start with, as were some of the others I've
tried - so far 40, 60 & 80 Gb Seagate HDs. Same result on all of them. All
tried on another machine afterwards with no problems. I don't use any disk
manager software - modern BIOSes can see the whole of the drive fine as is.
If this was an MBR problem then it wouldn't boot as far as it does, I think.
I've tried slowing down the FSB speed, and also the memory speed, but still
no change.
Tried replacing the Matrox G400 AGP card with a Matrox Mystique PCI card
(and changed BIOS) but still no change - it boots as far as the 'Starting
Windows' bar completes and then hangs. In 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' I
can see Mup.sys as the last file sucessfully loaded. I think this is the
famous 'muppet' problem !
Got myself a new PSU - a big beefy 550w job - and still no change.
So far, every piece of hardware except for the processor has been swapped
out.
Before buying another AMD XP2400 CPU I'd really like to make sure something
is wrong with the one I've got.
Does anyone know of any CPU testing/diagnostic software which I could
download and run from a floppy ?
TIA
Kevin.