Old October 26th 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Tony DiMarzio

Default CAT 8.10 driver released yesterday

GTX290 eh? No love for the 4870 or 4870 X2?

I hear the crossfire implementation in the x2 is completely transparent.
Personally, I'll be picking up a 4870 (not an X2) pretty soon.

Tony

"First of One" wrote in message
X1900XT and X1950XT cards use an external cable. The cable is pretty
secure. Because Cat 8.8 and earlier drivers don't present the same error,
and games show the expected performance increase for dual GPUs, I don't
think it's a loose or bad cable. The new way the Cat 8.9+ drivers detect
Crossfire probably is the culprit. There may be some race condition where
the slave card doesn't get initialized as quickly.

In another month or so I will be replacing the cards with a single 55nm
GTX290. I am going to avoid SLI/Crossfire setups - too much "babysitting"
needed to make sure they work/scale in all games.

"me/2" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 18:41:14 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

:Interestingly, all drivers Cat 8.9 and up fail to detect my X1900XT
:Crossfire cable about half the time at bootup. Cat 8.8 works just fine.
:Looks like the Quad CrossfireX overclocking introduced in 8.9 broke
:something...

Do those use an external Xfire connection or internal? I've got 2
X1950Pro cards with the internal bridges in one of my computers and
I've had no issues with either 8.9 or 8.10.

Possibly a failing or loose cable?

me/2