Old April 25th 04, 04:25 AM
Mo

I have checked the PSU fan (a dual fan 450W unit I had to go to to run the
machine) and an 80mm fan on the rear.. all are blowing the same direction
and the airways are as clear as they can be. There is air access through the
front of the cabinet. I also have two HDD drawers with minifans fitted.

I am going out for a couple of hours or so shortly so will leave the machine
running with the side cover off.

It seems that the supplied AMD cooling isn't sufficient. Am wondering if the
fins on the heatsink might be clogged, there are very fine air gaps.

I'm thinking of a replacement when the shops open on Tuesday.

"RonK" wrote in message
At least we know there is nothing using the cpu to create the excess heat.

Try using the computer with the case cover off and see what the temps run
at.
Also if you have a small desk fan you can have it blow air into the open
case. If this drops the temps a lot then you know you need more case fans .

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Sorry.. just found System Idle Process.. reading 98%.. looking in the
wrong
place.. ;-(

"RonK" wrote in message
When you use Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Del) the System Idle Process should be
around 97 to 99%. What is yours showing ?

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Yes.. Home Edition .. I put this machine together for it last August...

"RonK" wrote in message
Are you running XP ?

"Mo" wrote in message
u...
Hi Guys,

Back on the machine after overnight shutdown.. temps at start up M/b
21C..
CPU 52C .. Aux 26 ..

Just checked the CPU usage 0% (13% when I drag the panel). I'm reading
email/NG's and chatting ICQ..

The CPU is now up to 58C... the other temps are 32 - 33 respectively.

Question?.. Is the CPU powered (heated) full time? I was expecting to
see
the temp down towards ambient.. 22C.

For info I live in Australia.. ambient is in the 30's during summer.

"RonK" wrote in message
Hey Mo,
Hit ctrl/alt/del and see what the cpu idle is at. Just had a thought
that
there may be something using the cpu constantly. I had that problem with
my
neighbours machine.
In XP the cpu idle should be showing 97 - 99%.

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Thanks for your inputs, they're appreciated. As an oldie I have
problems
with the new tech stuff!

I have re-seated the heat sink with some paste that I had.. Aida shows
the
CPU
temp is now 58/9C .. rising(?) .. M/board is 33C and Aux 34C..
Bios shows roughly the same readings... the room temp is now 22C.
Machine
is
idling. I only use the machine for ICQ, email and occasional surfing.

Should I get another heat sink/fan? As I mentioned previously, I am
using
the AMD supplied unit. I am now concerned.

"Ron" wrote in message
You should be able to see your cpu temp in bios to confirm your
reading.

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat
sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later
m/board
and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with
EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was
flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after
overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as
63C.
The ambient was 22C.

Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I
certainly
don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

TIA-

Mo