Old July 30th 03, 01:36 AM
smh

Anton wrote:

Fellas:

I have an LG DVD-ROM reader and one LG CD-RW burner. I have noticed (in
Alcohol 120 and SiSoft Sandra) that the current read speed for both
drives is lower than the maximum read speed allowed by both units. The
DVD-ROM has a maximum read speed of 48x, but the current speed is 20x
(for DVD, maximum is 6x and current is 3x). The CD burner has a maximum
read speed of 40x, but now it doesn't specify the current read speed;
maximum write speed and current write speed coincide now (24x).

I thought the problem was because those channels were using PIO mode
instead of DMA, so in the Device Manager I changed them to the option
'DMA if possible' and now they use Ultra-DMA. This may have worked with
the burner, because before changing to DMA there was a divergence between
the maximum read speed and the current read speed (as I said above, now
Alcohol and Sandra only specify the maximum speed [no current], so I
pressume it has worked, though I'm not really sure). However, the DVD-
ROM's current read speed is still 20x (less than half of the drive's
capabilities). How can I regain that performance?

I thought that changing the transfer mode to DMA would solve the thing,
but there must be something more that escapes to me.

The system is a P4 2.6GHz with 512 MB RAM. OS is W2K Professional. The
DVD-ROM is -I think- on the primary IDE channel (as slave), and the CD-RW
is on the secondary IDE channel (slave too).

If no drive is on the secondary master, move the dvd-rom or cd-rw to it.