Old August 19th 03, 03:32 AM
Phil Weldon

You don't need to measure the burst rate - it will be 100 MB per second -
that's what makes your drive a UMDA 100 drive. Since no present hard drive
can supply data from the disk surface as fast as 80 MB per second the burst
rate test is not very useful; the on-drive cache can supply a burst on a
UMDA 100 drive at 100 MB per second, but as soon as it is empty (after at
most 8 MBytes) the transfer rate falls to the sustained sequential transfer
rate. It can only be filled at the rate limited by the drive data recording
density and rotational speed.

Phil Weldon,

"Marcus" wrote in message
Hello,

Can anyone recommend a hard disk benchmarking program that tests the whole
disk but in a few minutes, I use HD tach but the Burst Rate transfer only
goes up to 80 Mb/s and I'd like to test a UDMA 100 drive. Something

similar
to HD tach would be fine.

TIA

Marcus