Old January 25th 04, 06:07 PM
Arthur Buse

On 25 Jan 2004 10:54:07 GMT, "Peter Strömberg"
wrote:

Arthur Buse wrote in
:

I cannot help with most of your questions, but I know that Windows 98
runs into problems when more than 512 MB of memory is fitted.

I have 768 MB fitted. I have set Win 98 to only use 700 MB. It works
well when re-booted, but after a while I get the symptom of not being
able to open a DOS prompt window.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912

Says that Windows 98 runs into problems when more than 512 MB of
memory is fitted. Mine is fairly stable when restricted to 700 MB.
Needs re-booting if I have problems. I could restrict it further and
have fewer problems.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943

Says that Windows 98 & Windows ME will not run nor install if more
than 1.5 GB of memory are fitted. Thanks, Peter, I had never heard of
that.

I think I found another symptom of having too much memory. I could not
filll in text boxes on web pages. Ironically, this prevented me doing
a proper search for the original poster's question.

Microsoft once claimed that Windows 95 can use 2GB but I think they
lied.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q181/5/94.asp&NoWebContent=1

Mr E. Mann (original poster):

The 32-bit architecture of present CPUs limits them to 4 GB of RAM
(e.g . Pentium, Athlon Tbred). Windows XP, being a 32-bit operating
system will be limited to 4GB of memory. It can use at least 2GB of
memory.

At the bottom of page 16 of a Word document on the Windows NT homepage
it says that Windows NT Server is capable of addressing 4GB, split
into 2 GB for user space and 2 GB for system space.

http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/do...chitecture.doc

Windows XP is based on Windows NT, so I expect the same memory limit.

The Athlon 64 can address thousands of GB. There is a beta (test)
version of Windows XP 64-bit. I expect there will be a final retail
version available by Christmas. And a Service Pack full of bug fixes
early next year. :-)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server uses something called Physical Address
Extensions (PAE) and is able to address 8GB and Windows 2000
Datacenter Server uses PAE to address 32GB. Sounds like good old
memory paging to me.

--
Arthur.