Old December 6th 03, 04:44 AM
jona

"Phrederick" wrote in message
news:axrzb.555152$9l5.398325@pd7tw2no...

"jona" wrote in message
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that direct (USB) cable
networking requires a specific USB cable - not just a regular one.
I also vaguely remember thinking that that would be due to the
fact that USB also provides power to the connected item, which
would need NOT to be the case when connecting to another
machine. Can someone shed some light ? The limited reading
I have done online doesn't really stress this point out very much
except that most just want to sell a cable with software - and I
sure don't need to buy the software.

I've got a second-hand laptop which I may purchase if it can fullfill
my needs. Unfortunately it hasn't got a network port.

The cost of one of these "special" cables would be just as much as a USB

or
PCMCIA network adapter. Just get a regular network adapter that will be
useful on your next PC.

Firstly, thanks to everyone for their responses. As it turned out I managed
to source a USB laplink cable (on loan) which will tide me over till the
PCMCIA network adapter gets here late next week. At almost 300 bucks
(Namibian monopoly money) it's not much more expensive than the laplink
option....... like you said. Living on the ass-end of the planet has it's
'electronic' drawbacks, but that's another story.