Old January 20th 10, 02:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Johnny Asia[_2_]

Default Ethernet port died, then PCI ethernet card died - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 23:51:09 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

"Johnny Asia" wrote in message
.. .

I built this computer last summer, it has worked great until now. A
few days ago I lost internet connection, a clean reinstall of XP pro
didn't slove the problem, so I put in a USB wireless adapter, it works
fine. I bought a PCI express ethernet adapter and installed it
this morning. It worked fine for a few hours, then it suddenly stopped
working. It doesn't show up in device manager anymore, either.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

I had an old cable modem that stopped working after a few minutes.
Comcast would occasionally upload new instructions to it, and that would
kill it until
I unplugged, waited, reinstalled etc. A different cable modem solved
that problem. Maybe it's worth a try reset your cable modem (and rebooting
your PC,
in that order), unless you're sure you can rule that out.

hth,
Bill

Thanks

I tried that, it didn't help.

Curiously, everything was working fine until I rebooted after a
Windows update, then it wouldn't connect, "This connection has limited
or no connectivity." I thought it must be a software issue, but
nothing worked, not even a clean Windows reinstall.

+

Pucker your lips for the Apocalypse!

Johnny Asia, Guitarist from the Future

http://johnnyasia.com