Old December 29th 07, 04:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default 5 1/4" floppy on 4122

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to install an old TEAC 5.25" drive in an almost-as-old
Compaq 4122. Holding down F10 on bootup and choosing "Computer
Setup", "Storage" shows that the disk is considered a 3 1/2" disk
(Storage: A: 1.44-megabyte (3.5 inch)". Help (F1) says "By selecting
the storage icon you can display or change the configuration of your
computer's diskette and hard drives." When I do that, Help says
Diskette Drive A: allows you to specify the type of diskette drive
configured as A: as follows:" and a 360-K 5.25" disk is one of the
options.

But I don't see any way to change to it. Anyone know about this old
issue?

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592

Boot windows and check the error code you get on the drive for a clue
what the problem might be:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...odeUr l=true&

No error code is shown, Bob. Just a "disk in Drive A is not formatted.
Would you like to format it now?" If I click OK, it offers only 3.5"
options (1.44M or 720K), and if I try anyway it says the medium is not
of the specified capacity.

What is the DATE of manufacture Or BIOS date code on the 4122 ? -
something to give me a timeframe.... was it from 1991 ??? or 2002 ???
WHERE are you hooking up the IDE cable for the floppy drive?

If you're dealing with first generation pc ( 8080 cpu), I suspect that the
original Pc had a controller card for that hi-density 5/25" floppy. I
remember having 5.25 hi-density onboard for some PC's, BUT on another IBM
PC ( the first ones) , I also remember having 5.25" drives plugged NOT
into the motherboard - but into a ISA card that plugged into a slot on the
board. The card told OS the details about the high-density floppy drive.
Probably $1 on ebay if you can find it.

If you just want the INFO off the floppies:
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-25-Floppy-Tran...d=p163 8.m118