Old December 27th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default 5 1/4" floppy on 4122

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to install an old TEAC 5.25" drive in an almost-as-old Compaq
4122. Holding down F10 on bootup and choosing "Computer Setup",
"Storage" shows that the disk is considered a 3 1/2" disk (Storage: A:
1.44-megabyte (3.5 inch)". Help (F1) says "By selecting the storage icon
you can display or change the configuration of your computer's diskette
and hard drives." When I do that, Help says Diskette Drive A: allows you
to specify the type of diskette drive configured as A: as follows:" and
a 360-K 5.25" disk is one of the options.

But I don't see any way to change to it. Anyone know about this old
issue?

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592

Aside from the HELP in BIOS, if you toggle through possible floppy drive
settings in BIOS (next page or up/down etc) your ONLY options are 1.44m or
360-K 5.25 ? I'm guessing that the F1 help is ancient code. Nothing since
the early-mid 80's shipped with a 360k floppy. What OS do you WANT to boot
? What came with it ?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2666&lan g=en

click on DRIVERS area and you'll see:
" NOTE: Hardware devices (video, sound, network cards, and similar) that
were not designed for plug and play may not work in a computer that is
upgraded to Windows ME and later. If this is the case, you should probably
replace the hardware device with one that is compatible with your upgraded
operating system."