Old July 8th 04, 11:01 PM
MikeSp

Default setting up SATA nonRAID pair of drives

After thoroughly reading the thread about RAID drives, it got me to thinking
that, for my REAL needs (and not psychological ones), that my RAID 0
configuration of Raptors really is not necessary and offers me little
advantage. Since I will need to remove the partition anyway to do a virgin
install after spending a zillion hours chasing a conflict between Norton
Systemworks (NAV) 2004 and my Audigy 2ZS sound card software as well as a
conflict with Roxio Easy Media Creator causing Windows Installer to attempt
to install DAO.msi every time Roxio 7 is started), I have tweaked the
registry and installed and uninstalled and reinstalled and patched until my
XP registry is less than perfect (I wonder if many people know how many
entries Norton puts into the registry and are there even when it is
uninstalled?) Thus, although this new build is running fine and there are
no crashes, I plan to set up a virgin install of XP-Pro (leaving out Norton
software!!!!) and am wondering how to do so with both SATA drives connected
to the South bridge Intel chipset (controller) on my P4C800E-D--I would want
one drive for programs and the other one for data storage. Since these
drives are not "C" and "D," how will their drive letters be assigned (there
is a backup IDE HDD and two optical drives too)? Will I be given a choice
of which one of the two SATA drives on which to install WinXP during set
up--or will it be decided when I install a partition on one of the two
Raptors? (BTW--my Promise controller is disabled in BIOS since I don't need
it). Then perhaps go into storage management and set up the other raptor as
drive D??

MikeSp