Old July 15th 04, 06:54 PM
CJT

Kelli wrote:

Hi there,

I noticed a couple of alarming msgs in the Windows Event Viewer this
morning while I was poking around in there and checking out these
Administrative programs for the first time.

The first event I noticed was Event ID 7, a disk error, that said:
"The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block."
There were several of these in a row, I'd say about 10 or 12 all
within a minute of each other.

I poked around some more and found Event ID: 52, another disk error
that said: "Driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has
predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and
replace your hard drive. A failure may be imminent:

Well that woke me up. Looked for a freebie hard disk diagnostic type
software and found Passmark Disk Checkup. It reports that everything
is fine. Also, when I choose the Manage option in My Computer,
Windows reports also that everything is ok with the hard drives.

My system is only 5 months old, 2.6 GHz with a 160 GB hard drive
partitioned into 4 drives (NTFS). I'm running Win XP Pro and I
haven't noticed any problems really, other than my computer possibly
acting a little sluggish at times, maybe a little slower than when I
first brought it home. (I attributed it to the fact that I've been
installing quite a bit of software lately).

I also ran chkdsk from the cmd prompt and tho it did report errors
(all it said was "Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap. Windows
found problems with the file system.") it said there were no bad
sectors. I didn't use the /f switch on chkdsk as I'm afraid to at
this point...I need to do a bit of backing up first.

Can anyone tell me if I should be worried, or if there's something
else I can do to look into this further. Maybe some software out
there I can purchase (or free?!) to help with this? Or something
already in the system that I can check out for further information.
In the meantime I guess I'll start backing up stuff.

Thanks very much for any and all suggestions! And for reading this
rather lengthy post!
Kelli

Disks are generally cheaper and easier to replace than data.

I'd be especially concerned if it's an IBM (or Hitachi) drive,
but maybe that's just me.