Old April 3rd 04, 10:31 AM
Kris Rawlison

"Hupjack" hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com wrote in message
good lord... here's that 8500DV again...
http://tinyurl.com/2qkf2 - fricken $99, but without the remote.. Coming
with an RF remote is groovy.. This white box has more than the newegg
refurb but still no remote.. This fricken card is a monster.. it has two
firewire ports too? It's got everything but the kitchen sink!!

Kris is this what you had in mind when you said entry level Ti card?
http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=V9280%20TD&langs=09

it says "Multi-Video in/TV out adaptor DVI out adapter"
Does this thing do video capture or what?

this one certainly says more clearly that it does
http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9480tvd/overview.htm#
"Diversified display connectivity (Dual VGA, DVI-I, TV-out, Video-in)"

That's what I like to see.. "video in"

The reason I said to stay away from the GeForce4 MX series is that they are
basically crippled cards. They're only DirectX 7 compliant as they don't
support DirectX 8 pixel and vertex shaders. Not the end of the world mind
you, but if you're looking at only upgrading one every couple years, the
extra bucks now may wind up saving you a lot of hassle later you know?

As far as what I meant by an entry level Ti card, that's a great example.
My Leadtek is pretty much the same card, although ASUS usually gives better
goodies with their cards As far as third party cards, those made by
manufacturer using a chipset from a different company, they are all pretty
much within 5% of each other performancewise unless the manufacturer does a
lot of tweaking, and not many do. Basically, they will follow what is
called a "reference design" and then add on their own goodies. Anyway, if
you're looking for a card that can do TV capture, look for things like
"VIVO," "video in," "CATV in," things like that. Check out newegg.com, and
zipzoomfly.com that should make things pretty quick. If you like the remote
though, the only cards I know that have them are the ATI All-In-Wonders.
They're damn good cards, and you can find them at a decent price.