Old December 15th 04, 03:07 PM
kony

On 15 Dec 2004 02:26:04 -0800, (TJ
Sackville-West) wrote:

Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU

Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.

I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't
have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and the
new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the 20-pin
socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I should
be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the correct
male fitting.

Thanks
TJ

A 4-5 year old Codgen 250W isn't suited for this system.
Granted a Sempron 2400 isn't as demanding as some, but the
age of the PSU combined with it's generic low-quality
nature, lower capacity to begin with not even considering
that it may be optimized for amperage mostly from the 5V
rail, not 12V rail, might be too much for the old Codegen
which wasn't a very good PSU even when used in systems
contemporary at the time.

You can get an adapter that plugs into a 4 pin molex
connector but you'd be better off getting a new ~ 350W
name-brand power supply.