Old April 25th 07, 02:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Default ML350 D2 CPU upgrade question

"Phil" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message

"NuT CrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
"Phil" wrote in message
.. .

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
t...

I have never worked with the ML350's ... so I cannot give any

personal
input.

Howerver, those prox are fairly cheap these days. Get one and see

if
it
works. The only difference between an 866 and a 1000 is the clock
multiplier (and CPU Idenitification String). But, if the

SystemROM
doesnt
have the chip characteristics in its CPU Table, it may be
mis-identified,
or not recognised at all. If you DO try a 1000/133/256/1.5 chip,

be
sure
that the jumper settins are not setup for a specific speed, if
possible.
That is, do not specifiy a mulitplier, but go with AUTO if its an
option.

Also, another difference between the G1 and G2 wasnt just the

speed,
it
was the chip-package form factor. G1 was a Slot1 package, while

the
G2
was
a FCPGA (socket370) package. Also worked with Tualatin CPU's.

- LC

I can also offer that I upgraded the 866Mhz prox in my ML370 to

1Ghz,
and
the machine has never worked right since. it would refuse to boot,

and
then
when it finally DID boot, the second processor exceeds the thermal
threshold
(68C)often and reboots the box. YMMV.

Im going to put the 866's back in, and put the 1G's in my Netfinity

5600
(exchange server).

- LC

LC,
That's unusual unless it's the fan speed or heat is playing a role,

though
that would not cause the initial boot problems. That 370 G1 comes in

two
flavors of power supply, one with 3 smaller plug-in units and one

that
is
single large supply. I have 4 of those units and one was factory

stock
dual
1 gig cpu's, the others I upgraded to dual 1 gigs with NO issues. It

seems
like the three power supply unit fans run the same speed all the

time.
The
single power supply units have built in proportional fan speed

control
so
it
regulates itself thermally.

Could it be possible there is a switch setting or something simple

you
missed causing your issue. I could look at one and give you the

switch
settings that was on a factory 1 gig unit if that would help.
Phil

Thanks for the offer on that, Phil. If you could do that for me, i

would
appreciate it.

When the system reboots, I hear the fan increase in speed, distinctly,

2
or
3 times. The CPU (sensor 4) hits 68C, and the box reboots.

This only occurs when the system is under a heavy load.

- LC

Nutcracker,
Open mouth, insert foot ! I was going to put off looking until tomorrow,

but
tomorrows seem to get lost.

Ok, I just looked and here is what I found.

Switch #2, a 6 position switch located by the VRM, has #3 on and the

rest
off.

Switch #?? (not labeled on board or cover) an 8 position switch near the
edge of the board facing the front of the unit.
#3 and #8 is on and the rest off.

Label on cabinet top states the unit auto detects the cpu speed for

upgrade.

Now, something I should have noted earlier, do you have the baffle in

place.
That will allow it to heat up too much if it is missing, know that for a
fact. (part number on baffle is 161486-001)

Something else that may or could be a problem is the chassis fan itself.

If
I recall that unit, along with the old 800's and 1600's had two flavors

of
chassis fans. Only difference is speed, the higher speed fans were for

the
dual processor option. If it had two 866's, I would think that would be

no
problem. I can get you that part number but I'll have to take the fan

loose
to see it, it was not obvious.

To me, it sounds like either the baffle is missing or the fan just isn't
moving enough air.

Note, that baffle is nothing more than a shaped foam on the back of a

hard
black paperish like cardboard that restricts ALL the air to flow

straight
through the two cpu's and by the ram.

If you suspect fan is the slow version, I can check my number but not

until
tomorrow or late tonight. I also have a few more of the 370's that I

wanted
to upgrade from dual 600 to 1 gig. I have the cpu's but perhaps I need

check fan numbers anyway.

Those settings I gave you are from a factory dual 1 gig unit.
If your baffle is in place, hang tight and I'll get you the fan number,

let
me know.
Phil

On Google I found that baffle for 35 bucks, ebay had one 6 bucks and 8
shipping.

Phil

Nutcracker,
Damn, this is rambling on .... but,
Another thought, could you have a problem with the thermal compound or
grease from the cpu to the heatsink. If the heatsink was removed at some
point from the cpu that could be the problem too. When changing the cpu's on
the heatsinks, they (both cpu and heatsink) need to be cleaned and use new
"thermal" grease between them.
This just "aint normal", it should work !!

Phil