Old April 25th 07, 12:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

Default ML350 D2 CPU upgrade question

"Phil" wrote in message
.. .

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message
t...

I have never worked with the ML350's ... so I cannot give any personal
input.

Howerver, those prox are fairly cheap these days. Get one and see if it
works. The only difference between an 866 and a 1000 is the clock
multiplier (and CPU Idenitification String). But, if the SystemROM

doesnt
have the chip characteristics in its CPU Table, it may be

mis-identified,
or not recognised at all. If you DO try a 1000/133/256/1.5 chip, be
sure
that the jumper settins are not setup for a specific speed, if
possible.
That is, do not specifiy a mulitplier, but go with AUTO if its an

option.

Also, another difference between the G1 and G2 wasnt just the speed, it
was the chip-package form factor. G1 was a Slot1 package, while the G2

was
a FCPGA (socket370) package. Also worked with Tualatin CPU's.

- LC

I can also offer that I upgraded the 866Mhz prox in my ML370 to 1Ghz,
and
the machine has never worked right since. it would refuse to boot, and

then
when it finally DID boot, the second processor exceeds the thermal

threshold
(68C)often and reboots the box. YMMV.

Im going to put the 866's back in, and put the 1G's in my Netfinity 5600
(exchange server).

- LC

LC,
That's unusual unless it's the fan speed or heat is playing a role, though
that would not cause the initial boot problems. That 370 G1 comes in two
flavors of power supply, one with 3 smaller plug-in units and one that is
single large supply. I have 4 of those units and one was factory stock
dual
1 gig cpu's, the others I upgraded to dual 1 gigs with NO issues. It seems
like the three power supply unit fans run the same speed all the time. The
single power supply units have built in proportional fan speed control so
it
regulates itself thermally.

Could it be possible there is a switch setting or something simple you
missed causing your issue. I could look at one and give you the switch
settings that was on a factory 1 gig unit if that would help.
Phil

Thanks for the offer on that, Phil. If you could do that for me, i would
appreciate it.

When the system reboots, I hear the fan increase in speed, distinctly, 2 or
3 times. The CPU (sensor 4) hits 68C, and the box reboots.

This only occurs when the system is under a heavy load.

- LC