Old December 7th 17, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Swapping a SSD to a new notebook

If you've spent $$$ on expensive software like SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or Adobe CS, change the service tag to match the old system. Not sure what happens if you have Office that was installed at the factory. Dell may have a special deal for Office, providing a Dell-specific version that will run on an Dell. If you don't care about continued use of licensed and paid for software, no need to change the service tag. Dell's ASSET.COM program is the one I used to change the service tag on a Precision 3500 to match the one on a prehistoric 2002-vintage Precision 690. The guy now has the fastest XP computer ever, a quad-core Xeon. I have a hex-core Xeon here, but that would have been overkill... Ben

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 2:49:45 AM UTC-5, Richard S wrote:
On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 13:46:35 -0800 (PST), Ben Myers
wrote:
Thanks Ben, that is very helpful.
Is it difficult to change the serial number or service tag, and would
you recommend doing this?
Richard

Barring damage to the SSD, the odds of almost everything working as before are near 100%. The only caveat is to pay attention to software that is licensed and for which you have paid good money. Depending on the software, it may activate like Windows does, tying the software to the make and motherboard serial number (Dell's service tag) during activation. If the software is moved to another motherboard, Whoops! It does not work. To get around this for some customers, I have changed the motherboard serial number or service tag, after which everything works correctly as before. You do not need to worry about Windows itself though. Dell installs it's own Windows customized to work on most any Dell computer... Ben Myers

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 7:36:13 PM UTC-5, Richard S wrote:
I have a 2 year old Dell XPS13 laptop, which has died as a result of a
serious liquiud spill. The 256GB SSD appears to have survived, and I
believe it is still fully fucntional.
What are the chances that if I buy a new Dell XPS 13, with the same
specs, and put the old SSD in it,the new XPS 13 will boot up and run
with the OS and apps from the old laptop?
What are the potential problems?
Thanks for any advice.
Richard