Old April 19th 04, 06:17 AM
mr potatohead

Keep in mind that if you will being using the SATA controller and wish
to use the PATA controllers as well, you may or may not be able to use
disk imaging utilities on your SATA disks, such as Partition Magic,
Norton Ghost, and I know for a fact that Acronis True Image does not
support the integrated ICH5/ICH5R SATA controller.

The solution is to put the SATA controller in "legacy mode", but there a
several limitations. Don't remember all the details, but I believe you
will not be able to use the PATA controllers in legacy mode, or if not
that, you lose the first channel.

K G Wood wrote:

Hi all. I'm a total novice. Until now frustrated by unreliable and
rapidly out-of-date PCs and without the knowledge to cope with
disasters, I have decided to "build my own" using reputable
manufacturers with good back-up service; starting small with
potential to enlarge; building in a degree of future-proofing and
learning all about it on the way. I'm still at the design stage and
have (pretty well) decided on a mobo, an Intel D875PBZ.

First problem: The above mobo has 2 Serial ATA IDE interfaces with
RAID 0 and RAID 1 support. And also 2 Parallel ATA IDE interfaces
with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support.

Am I thinking correctly here? (apologies if the vocab is
inappropriate!):

A These 4 interfaces will altogether ultimately support up to 8
devices. B The SATA interfaces with increased bandwidth will be
best as the primary supporting the HDDs. C ATA interfaces require
80 conductor cable and devices using the Cable Select position.. D
SATA interfaces require the new thin flexible cable and also use
Cable Select.. E It would in theory be possible to use the new
flexible cable for all 4 interfaces and all 8 devices.

F I can use one SATA interface solely for the OS and other
software progs, and the second SATA for personal stuff. If so, would
this involve changed settings in BIOS and how? G RAID 0 support
with an extra HDD on each SATA interface (4 HDDs in all) would enable
striping and improve performance. H Alternatively RAID 1
support with an extra HDD on each SATA interface (4 HDDs in all)
would enable mirroring and improve security. I It would NOT be
possible to RAID 0 the OS HDD interface and at the same time RAID 1
the other interface (or variations thereon: single OS/progs drive but
mirrored personal drive for backup security) or would it? If so,
how? J Until I acquire 4 drives, RAID can be turned off (or is
simply ineffective) and I can have 1 SATA drive on each interface. K
With RAID on or off, suitable quiet SATA HDDs would be 80GB Seagate
Barracuda 7200s. L Purely theoretical this - could you in fact run
RAID levels 0 + 1 simultaneously on three drives, using a single main
HDD for everything which is both striped and mirrored? Or would
that then automatically require four drives?

Finally: L Any reputable CD RW and DVD RW will work comfortably
together each sitting on the remaining two ADA interfaces.

All comments most gratefully received, particularly on anything
obvious I have overlooked.

I've already learnt lots from lurking. And for that too, many
thanks.

Kevin