Old April 17th 04, 11:52 AM
Patrick

K G Wood wrote:
Hi all.
I'm a total novice. Until now frustrated by unreliable and rapidly
out-of-date PCs and without the knowledge to cope
with disasters, I have decided to "build my own" using reputable
manufacturers with good back-up service; starting
small with potential to enlarge; building in a degree of future-proofing and
learning all about it on the way. I'm still
at the design stage and have (pretty well) decided on a mobo, an Intel
D875PBZ.

First problem:
The above mobo has 2 Serial ATA IDE interfaces with RAID 0 and RAID 1
support.
And also 2 Parallel ATA IDE interfaces with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support.

Am I thinking correctly here? (apologies if the vocab is inappropriate!):

A These 4 interfaces will altogether ultimately support up to 8 devices.
B The SATA interfaces with increased bandwidth will be best as the primary
supporting the HDDs.
C ATA interfaces require 80 conductor cable and devices using the Cable
Select position..
D SATA interfaces require the new thin flexible cable and also use Cable
Select..
E It would in theory be possible to use the new flexible cable for all 4
interfaces and all 8 devices.

F I can use one SATA interface solely for the OS and other software
progs, and the second SATA
for personal stuff. If so, would this involve changed settings in BIOS and
how?
G RAID 0 support with an extra HDD on each SATA interface (4 HDDs in
all) would enable
striping and improve performance.
H Alternatively RAID 1 support with an extra HDD on each SATA interface
(4 HDDs in all)
would enable mirroring and improve security.
I It would NOT be possible to RAID 0 the OS HDD interface and at the
same time RAID 1 the other interface
(or variations thereon: single OS/progs drive but mirrored personal drive
for backup security) or would it? If so, how?
J Until I acquire 4 drives, RAID can be turned off (or is simply
ineffective) and I can have 1 SATA drive on each interface.
K With RAID on or off, suitable quiet SATA HDDs would be 80GB Seagate
Barracuda 7200s.
L Purely theoretical this - could you in fact run RAID levels 0 + 1
simultaneously on three drives, using a single main HDD
for everything which is both striped and mirrored? Or would that then
automatically require four drives?

Finally:
L Any reputable CD RW and DVD RW will work comfortably together each
sitting on the remaining two ADA interfaces.

All comments most gratefully received, particularly on anything obvious I
have overlooked.

I've already learnt lots from lurking. And for that too, many thanks.

Kevin

Be aware that Intel uses 24-pin power connectors and does NOT adhere to
the ATA specs on their main boards! So, be prepared to check it out on
their web site, and get the special PSU, for your board!

I highly recommend you buy the Intel server tower that is recommended
for that board!