Old June 8th 04, 10:45 PM
Lee

You might want to check out this article over at tomshardware.com
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/index.html
As i understand it the 64bit athlons are better in terms of gaming but the
P4EE has the advantage when it comes to video editing software.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:52:44 +1200, "ur_droll" wrote:

:Hi there all you tech heads.
:
:I am after advice from "those in the know" about a box upgrade that I'm
:considering.
:
:Having being through this once before (and fluffing it with a 733 P3
:just after P4 release) and missing any opportunity to make a meaningful
:(cpu only) upgrade. I would like to spend as little as possible on my
:initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd.
:
:I have a reasonable appreciation of the value of higher fsb, P4 hyper
:threading and 64 bit 754 XP's, but don't have much of an idea as to
:the comparative value of the 462 XP's 400fsb, particularly as relates
:to P4 hyper threading and the likelihood of continuing production of
:faster (compatible architecture) cpu's that might be supported by my
:new m/b. i.e.... I understand the risk of architecture redundancy if
:I get it wrong and am trying to weigh the risk against the savings in
:cost for the three different options.
:
:Search and cost comparisons of local supply options for m/bs that
:support the potential advances of the three options (together with a
:desire to get 'off board graphics') are limiting me to low speed cpu's
:around 2000 - 2400 with lower fsb. This will be my most meaningful
:upgrade (other than graphics, sound and ram), and I would like to be
:in the hunt for a 3300+ + upgrade (if available).
:
:I guess my question is simply..... are 462 XP's with dual channel cpu's
:competitive enough (in your collective opinions) with P4 hyperthreading,
:....to minimise the risk of premature redundancy.
:
:Please advise.
:
: