Old March 1st 05, 03:46 AM
Paul M

No need to upgrade your 9800 Pro. Unless you upgrade it to a 6800 GT ?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:15:35 -0600, "Kent"
wrote:

I agree, I had a 9800 pro and I got about 5500 points in 3dmark 03. Then I
bought a 6600gt for my son a month before X-mas so I used it to make sure it
was ok before the 30 day warranty ran out Anyway, I got 7k to 8k in
3dmark 03 with it. Just last week I bought a Gigabyte 6800gt to replace my
9800pro and I need all the help I can get playing Counter Strike haha and
it gets 10k to 11,700 in 3dmark 03 so far.. (don't want to kill my $400
v-card overclocking it too much) I ran the cards all at 1024x768 on my 17in
CRT in games. Only now i can run all my settings on high in CS with AA and
AF cranked up and still get a descent framerate. With the 9800 pro (default
clocking) I couldn't run any AA or AF in multiplayer without my frames
dropping below 30fps.

Pete

Sys Specs
AMD 3200+ @2250mhz SI-97 heatsink
2X 512megs Corsair ram PC3200
Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 mobo
Gigabyte 6800gt

"farmuse" wrote in message
Lester Piglet wrote:

I bought a 6600GT as a stopgap upgrade. I sold it after 3 days and kept
my 9800PRO. I didnt see any improvement at all. I think the difference
will only show above 1280x1024 res and as my tft doesnt do that I can't
verify.

"Dan" wrote in message

The Geforece 6600 PCI-E doesn't need any additional power as it can draw
enough power from the PCI-E socket. The AGP version does require one
additional power connector.

The Geforce 6600 is not comparable to the x600 series from ATI. It's
comparable to the X700 series.

I'm totally confused on which card to get. The Geforce 6600GT or the
X700pro
AGP. But I might hold out a little longer, wait til christmas and buy a
whole new rig with PCI-E.

Dan
"Rob" wrote in message

Perhaps the 6600GT might outperform the 6800LE in some benchmarks,
but not the 6800NU (base model) according to these benchmarks:

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...119/index.html

"Conor" wrote in message
.com...

In article , John Smith
says...

Does the 6600gt have to be plugged into the power supply like the

9800pro

does. If not does this make it lack in power and performance
comparativley?
TIA.

Since the 6600gt is newer do you think it would run hl2 better than
the
9800pro? Right now i have a geo 2 mx 400 :-( and need to upgrade.

It does need a connector. In benchmarks, the 6600GT outperforms the
9800 Pro and sometimes even the 6800's.

--
Conor

Greedo shot first. Greedo ALWAYS shot first. You did not see Solo shoot
first.
It never happened. Never, ever. Not in any version. Remember: Greedo
shot first.

the 6600 is the faster card but the 9800 pro is fine too, matter of
personal preference it sounds like