Old December 23rd 04, 10:43 PM
jo

I had almost the same with a fx5900, i got messages that i have insufficient
power and the card switched to a lower mode.So i thought what i going on?I
pressed the connector to the videocard,enz.

The strange thing was that i bought a new powersupply 3 months before i got
the videocard,this was the Qtec 500 watt version, so i thought i was safe.

Alright i began to look why i had still insufficient power, and i found on
the internet the answer;Qtec did a little marketing trick;the 500watts were
peak ratings!!!!thus not the nominal ratings!!!

You can understand that i was shocked so i bought a powersupply from a good
brand;tagan 480w, if you have this brand you will notice the difference like
the cables, even the powercord is shielded and filtered!!!!!

How is it possible that they can fool people like this, i mean you think you
buy a 500 watt powersupply but you will get a 350 watt powersupply, for
example.This is really misleading customers!!!!!

"...D." schreef in bericht
news
OK. Bought a 6600GT AGP online for $216. Works great - after I had to
take care of one little thing.

Now, I had researched this card in the last few weeks. Either here in
this newsgroup - somewhere anyway, I read that the minimum power supply
for the 6600GT was 300 watts.

Well forget it. At least the one I bought. I didn't see the power supply
requirements listed online when I bought, nor did I look at the box when
received, and I installed it. Worked fine until I loaded any game where
the graphics acceleration would kick in, and then my computer crashed to
nothingness, and I had to cold boot.

Finally after several things tried, I looked at the box. "minimum of a
450 watt power supply is needed".

So I went and bought a 500 watt power supply, and it works great.

Actually I bought a fancy looking 600 watt power supply 1st, took it home,
carefully & meticulously installed it correctly, even tying up wires here
& there to get them out of the way, started my computer, the light came
on, after two second, dead. Thought I blew it and fried my computer.
Come to find out, after taking the darned thing in because I had no ideas,
that the power supply was bad. Let that be a lesson to you guys, fancy
schmansy 600 watt power crazy wanting people, be careful what brand you
buy, I of course never would buy anything from that company again.

There ought to be some kind of consumer protection laws out there that
would reimburse me for the time it took me to install an item that was
defective & had to be replaced. If the store is going to charge me $45 to
install a power supply, then my time should be worth at least half of
that. & what about traveling & gas & wear & tear on my car? & esp3cially
what about the mental aguish I felt when I thought I had fried my computer
and maybe everything in it?

...D.