Old January 4th 04, 02:20 PM
Jo Vermeulen

Jo Vermeulen wrote:

kony wrote:
It doesn't sound like he needs blazing 3D speed though, a Radeon 9200
or 9600 might be ideal for the purpose.

You are right. I don't need a very fast card. I occassionaly play
games (e.g. Max Payne, FIFA 2003, GTA 3, Midnight Club, ...). My
Geforce 2 MX card was good enough for that purpose.

I don't even need the performance of an Radeon 9200. It just want to
keep playing the games I played before. But I don't know if any of the
Matrox cards is capable of the 3D performance of my old Geforce 2 MX
400 (not considering the Parhelia, which is way out of my budget).

Maybe the G550 or P650 are?

Just found this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ma...ews.com&rnum=2

quote
Seriously, from what I've read, you won't see much improvement in 2D
performance or image quality. 3D gets the biggest boost. The G450 is
like a TNT 2 ultra but the G550's 3D performace is close to a GeForce 2 MX.
/quote

So apparantly the G550 is as good as my Geforce2 MX )

Just found an article contradicting that. The G550 comes "close", but
cannot match the performance of the Geforce2 MX.

Does anybody know how the P650 compares?

I think I will try to go for this card, since it's not much more
expensive than the G550 and should have better 3D performance than my
Geforce 2 MX card (I heard somebody was able to play C&C Generals with it).

Kind regards,

--
Jo Vermeulen
Student Computer Science at the tUL