Old April 2nd 04, 05:29 AM
kony

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:28:07 -0800, "Hupjack"
hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks also for calling my attention to cooling. I'm definitely running too
hot. Right now the Chip is at 56C and the board is at 34C. That's after
taking the shell off my case because the chip was at 62C and the board was
at 38C.
I think the cheapo CPU cooler
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-013&depa=0
that I got stuck with in this bundle http://tinyurl.com/2lhnv, and the fact
that I have no chasis fan and a low RPM PSU fan are not a good combo for
keeping this thing cool. I'm going to build this motherboard chip and cpu
cooler into a different computer and sell it. I had meant to get a nForce2
based A7N8X-X but accidentally ordered a Via based A7V8X-X (darned similar
model numbers). Now that I know how hot it's running, I'll make sure to
throw a chasis fan in the case it goes into.

Even a chassis fan may not be enough... if it's idling at 56C with the
case open, it might be running hot enough to be instable at full load...
always build for stability at full load, particularly when selling a
system.. it'll come back to bite you if you don't, the first thing most
people (buyers) do is load up all kinds of background crap that leaves the
system running full tilt 24/7, an invitation for instability anyway
considering the sources of some of the malware out there, then if it's
overheating too you may wish you'd spent the $20 for a good cooler instead
of having to go back and forth troubleshooting the system, you'd know
ahead of time that it was 100% stable and must be their "changes".

They never should've bundled that low-end Speeze cooler with any chip
faster than an XP1800.