Old April 2nd 04, 02:28 AM
Hupjack

It's not a problem. Generally the lower the RPM the less accurate the
reading might be due to (any paritcular board's) sampling rate, and
sometimes the board will have a bios update that addresses compatibility
with lower RPM fans, but it's nothing to worry about. Just set the Asus
Probe alarm to a value lower than lowest RPM seen during operation.

The main thing to be concerned about is the chassis cooling, with a lower
RPM PSU fan you'd usually need at least 1 chassis exhaust fan too.

Thanks for putting me at ease with the PSU fan speed.

Thanks also for calling my attention to cooling. I'm definitely running too
hot. Right now the Chip is at 56C and the board is at 34C. That's after
taking the shell off my case because the chip was at 62C and the board was
at 38C.
I think the cheapo CPU cooler
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...150-013&depa=0
that I got stuck with in this bundle http://tinyurl.com/2lhnv, and the fact
that I have no chasis fan and a low RPM PSU fan are not a good combo for
keeping this thing cool. I'm going to build this motherboard chip and cpu
cooler into a different computer and sell it. I had meant to get a nForce2
based A7N8X-X but accidentally ordered a Via based A7V8X-X (darned similar
model numbers). Now that I know how hot it's running, I'll make sure to
throw a chasis fan in the case it goes into.

Thanks,
-Ethan