Old April 1st 04, 05:53 PM
kony

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:24:11 -0800, "Hupjack"
hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com wrote:

snip, snip

I just finished putting together my system, .
... Antec 300W SmartPower ATX12V power supply.

...ASUS PC Probe
...fan connectors for the processor and a 2nd labeled for
the Chasis. I plugged the power supply fan cable into the chasis fan
connector, and the fan speed came through reported as the chasis fan just as
expected.

This note in the Antec Manual explains that the power supply fan may spin as
low as 1500 RPM and that motherboards might have problems with that.

Note: The speed of the fan may be as low as 1500 RPM when
temperatures are low. At these speeds some motherboards may not be able to
properly
detect the fan speed and may generate false warnings of fan failure. Please
refer to your
motherboard manual for proper fan monitoring set up.

Well it just so happens that right now PC Probe is reporting exactly 1500
RPM, but earlier it was reporting 1000 - 1100 RPM. Is this likely a
manifestation of the problem Antec warns is possible, or might I have a
funky power supply with a fan spinning slower than it should?

It's not a problem. Generally the lower the RPM the less accurate the
reading might be due to (any paritcular board's) sampling rate, and
sometimes the board will have a bios update that addresses compatibility
with lower RPM fans, but it's nothing to worry about. Just set the Asus
Probe alarm to a value lower than lowest RPM seen during operation.

The main thing to be concerned about is the chassis cooling, with a lower
RPM PSU fan you'd usually need at least 1 chassis exhaust fan too.