Old April 6th 04, 01:10 PM
Kevin Lawton

John,
As soon as I encoutered this problem I tried safe mode - but I still get the
same problem, it says it is starting then hangs before I get a desktop up.
In fact I have tried starting in just about every mode available from the
'F8' menu - logged, command prompt, anything, and in every case the system
just hangs just at the point which I can best describe as 'really running
the operating system' as opposed to running in some sort of booting/loading
mode or version.
The bootlog file doesn't appear to be being written, so I think the point of
failure must be just before the bootlog is created. The MS articles just
don't seem to hit the point of failure I'm experiencing. In fact, judging by
the content of the MS knowledgebase articles and their newgroup, MS seem to
deny that a failuer can occur at this point - or at least that it is not a
problem in Windows as such.
If MS are to be believed, then I'm getting a hardware failure. I've tried
replacing just about every component in the system, in fact the only part I
haven't replaced is the processor - due to the cost. I was wondering whether
there was any way of making sure that this actually is a processor problem
before spending out on a replacement.
MS-DOS and DR-DOS both run fine, but they are only 16-bit real-mode. Windows
2000 hangs at some point in the boot sequence just before it 'gets
sophisticated' and brings up the desktop. I'm thinking that it is time to
try loading in something else - either some processor test software or
another op system.
Any further ideas along these lines - or do you think I'm chasing a 'red
herring' ?
Thanks for your help,
Kevn.