Old April 5th 04, 04:46 PM
John7

Hi Kevin,

Turn virus / bootsector protection off in BIOS until install finished.
It seems the lockup occurs when the videocard is about to go into graphics
mode.
First, try defensive settings in BIOS.
Second, try swapping the card.
When graphic mode turns on, the card draws more current.
What is the wattage of your power supply?
You'll need at least 300W, better 350W.
Tell us more about your system.

Installing windows on another mainboard, then swapping harddrive
to other mainboard won't work.

HTH,
John7

PS: to protect yourself from spam, don't post your email address here
or insert something like REMOVE.

"Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
Please, can somebody help me with this ?
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP + AMD XP2400 + 2 x 256 Mb DDR2700.
The above runs various versions of DOS, from either floppy or hard drive

(60
Gb Seagate), fine - no problem at all.
If I try to install Windows 2000 it all seems to be going well until I get
to the point where it should be 'Starting to run Windows for the first
time' - and it just hangs - forever :-)
I have tried building a fresh install on a Duron 1200 and then swapping

the
hard drive over - same problem: hangs after the 'starting Windows'

progress
stripe has completed.
I've tried swapping both memory and motherboard (both GA-7VRXP Rev1.1) and
still the same problem.
This is driving me crazy !
Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next ?
Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
TIA,
Kevin.