Old December 3rd 20, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

On Wed, 02 Dec 2020 17:03:16 +0100, Michael Logies wrote:

yesterday I tried to print with my Android 10 (Xiaomi Mi 8) to a Epson
WF-4630 (ca. 2014) in my office. It did not work with the system print
service. I had to install "Epson Print Enabler", now it works. I do
not know, whether the cloud is used or not.
At home the Epson WF-4720 is recognized easily on the network by the
system print service.
I print too seldom from Android for being too much intererested in
printing problems.

Hi Michael Logies,

Thank you for your update, where I appreciate that you let us know the
Epson app worked for you, even as the HP app failed for me (for reasons
already covered in gory detail in this thread).

I think it's the _wrong_ approach for everyone to have to install a
printer-specific app from the manufacturer; but if it works, that's OK.

What I always strive to do is spend the time to write the tutorial so that
the amount of effort it took us to get it working disappears for others.

All they have to do is follow the tutorial, where, I claim, based on what
I've learned, _anyone_ "should" be able to print to their networked
printer, no matter _what_ printer they have on the network, and no matter
how it's networked, as long as it has an IP address and open ports.

I'm writing up and testing the BSOD tutorial as we speak, and I already
wrote a few tutorials this week on the other newsgroups, so I'm a bit late
on this printing tutorial, but in its simplest form, this is the procedu

1. Run a scan to identify the printer IP address & supported protocols.
2. Install "Let's Print Droid" & set it up as the _only_ "print service".
3. If the printer doesn't support PDF, also install "Let's Print PDF".

For sure, that does _not_ use the Internet in any way when printing.
o It's free, ad free, & most importantly, compatible with old printers!

I posit there's a good chance that procedure "should" (could? would?) work
on almost any printer on the network no matter how old it is, as long as it
has an IP address (e.g., I don't know about USB or serial port printers).

There are other options, of course, where I've already listed about 8
different ways to print from Android to the printer so I won't repeat them.

Thanks again for being a good hearted person who helps others on Usenet out
of the goodness of your soul, where it's nice to solve problems together.