Old February 2nd 05, 05:26 PM
Chezwick T. Feeglebrox III esquire

Default 6800 price update...straight dope on what's up...

Please correct me where I'm wrong...
pixel pipelines is the key to card performance, but many times
(purposefully?) kept off the product description on sellers' websites.

I use epinions for reviews, but pricewatch usually has the lowest price
links even if they allow the sellers sometimes to place their products
into the wrong categories.

6800 LE, many times mixed up with the 6800 vanilla/NU
8 pixel pipes overclockable to 12?
250$ on newegg.com or many other sites.

6800 OC,
8 pipes overclockable to 12, sometimes 16?
315$ on monarch
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...IL= bizr&NR=1

I've read there is about a 20% chance of NOT unlocking the 4 pixels
when overclocking, but I estimate the failure rate at lower than that.
Use Riva tuner to "unlock"/overclock, as described here
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1500237

6800 NU or "vanilla", or just "6800"
It's called many things, but most of all 'confusing'. The reason is
described in my previous post, but comes down to this being a tool for
nvidia and the resellers to get people to believe they're buying a 6800
when they're only getting an "LE" - big difference. Just do a "geforce
6800" search on newegg.com - over a dozen returns, with the LE coming
within 15$ of a "6800" no one can tell is the LE or the NU(again the
term "NU" is a term made up by users in an attempt to form order out of
the confusion, but no sellers use it or any other clear identifier for
the standard 6800!!)
Is this a 6800NU or LE? There are no pixel pipelines outlined in the
tech specs, so you guess because I can't tell!
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...122-193&DEPA=1

6800 GT,
16 pipes,
350-400$
http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/Prod...sku=VC-PNY-005
(349$)

6800 Ultra
16 pipes,
about 500$
http://www.buyxg.com/store/item.asp?key=VC-129-101 (463$)

I don't blame nvidia for their marketing plan of confusion. Business
is business, and the way it's laid out now may allow for some of us to
get cards cheaper than others. The 6800 cards are great...even the
6800 LE - no one can deny(why would I be writing so much on this if it
wasn't a notable product!). There is a lot of time wasted searching
for info on the cards, though, for those that do eventually (try
to)find out. If Nvidia is watching this post(I bet they are!) please
email me, I have ideas on how we both can benefit. I'm putting up a
website to clarify things, and nvidia, the sellers like newegg, the
manufacturers like BFG, and the rest all can benefit if we all
coordinate